Monday, March 7, 2011

STARTING AN ANTIQUE & HOME DECOR GIFT SHOP


An Antique & Collectible Business has great benefits for the right person. You can start on a very low budget and sell what you enjoy yourself. If you live in part of the Country where Western Collectibles are popular than you may want to pursue that avenue. May be you live where Primitives are in great demand, thus you may want to start by selling some Primitives. Start selling at some local Swap Meets or you can start out having a Garage Sale, that way you will find out what people are looking for and what they are willing to pay.

I started out about 25 years ago just by chance. My in-laws had a Second Hand Store and they sold some Antiques. This is how I was first introduced to Antiques. I was still young and hadn't caught the Antique bug yet. It really was not my decor, not until I started seeing what beautiful things they were finding and how warm and rich they made a home feel.

First we just started going to some Auctions and bought some items for our own home. Then we couldn't pass up some good deals. My husband and I started to refinish some of the pieces we had bought. Friends and some relatives saw what we had in our garage and asked if they were forsale. Soon we were selling some of the extra items we had purchased at the Auctions. Then we had out first official sale. We just advertised an Antique Sale out of our garage. Our first garage sale made us $1200.00 + in sales in just one day! We were hooked! We kept on going to a few Auctions and did some refinishing and just sold out of our garage for about 2 to 3 years. We were doing so well we decided to add on a 20 X 20 room onto our house and open a Antique/Gift Shop. We sold what we liked, some Primitives, Kitchenware, Reproduction Collectibles. It was a great way for a Mom to stay home with the kids and make some money having fun!

Here are some pictures of my current shop that I run from my basement!


Please visit my website for more info on How To Start Your Own Home Based Home Decor Business! Click on the button below.

No comments: